Ever been frustrated when you bought something that didn’t fit? And are you trying to wear this item without it being the right fit while also feeling uncomfortable? This happens to many us as customers, specifically for people looking for the right size when it comes to bicycle helmets, and in this review, we are talking about the correct helmet fit for those with large heads.
Finding bike helmets for big heads is a little more difficult because the average helmet just won’t do. But to advance your search even further, the right fitting helmet is just as important as the right helmet in general. There are thousands of different helmets to buy so keep in mind these important things when shopping for helmets.
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
The right size helmet is important for safety and comfort. That is why our top pick for the best helmet for big heads is the Troy Lee Designs Adult Mountain Bike Helmet. You won’t be disappointed in this helmet; it is safe, comfortable, efficient, and comes in many sizes to accommodate for those large heads.
7 Best Bicycle Helmets for Large Heads
1. Troy Lee Designs Adult Mountain Bike – Top Pick for the Serious Bicyclist
The Troy Lee Design Adult Mountain Bike A2 MIPS Mirage Helmet is one that may be expensive but if you are a serious bike rider, you will need a high-quality MIPS cycling helmet. This helmet provides many sizes from small to extra large to accommodate for big heads and is necessary for ultimate comfort and safety. Not only does these helmets provide a customized fit, but they include over 16% more EPS and EPP in the frontal lobe with raised EPS splines as the best protection system against impacts.
Features: Large air intakes in the helmet, washable x-static pure silver comfort liner, rear stabilizer fit system with 3 positions for front and rear customized fit, break-away visor screws, and strap dividers.
- Increased frontal EPP and EPS liner in the helmet protects from high and low speed impacts, CPSC certified, and MIPS or multi directional impact protection system
- Large air intakes provide maximum cooling power
- The X-Static liner reduces odor and wicks away sweat
- XXL bike helmet option for big heads for a perfect fit up to 65 cm
- Some say the color of the helmet in the picture may be different than what is received
2. VICTGOAL Bike Helmet – Budget Friendly
The VICTGOAL Bike Helmet is the ultimate helmet for the one who is an avid bike rider. Not only is it adjustable for those with big heads and other head sizes (22.44 – 24 inch or 57-61 cm) but it comes with all the features to keep you riding for hours. The breathable air vents keep you cooled down and limits air resistance to make riding smoother. You will also have a more enjoyable ride when you put on the attached goggles and sun visor to protect your eyes from the sun and other elements.
Features: Magnetic removable goggle and sun visor, safety rear light, EPS foam and PC shell, portable helmet bag, and 21 breathable vents.
- The helmet straps are made from reflective material to help with getting noticed at night
- After a long day of riding, you can remove and wash the inner liner which also includes a built-in insect net
- Light weight one for comfortable riding
- Built in visor and goggles protects from the sun and helps improve blind spots on sunny days
- Some say the magnets that hold the visor and goggles may be weaker than other ones
3. KINGBIKE Ultralight Bike Helmet – Best Helmet for Comfort
Riding a bike is a lot of fun and if you want to keep being a riding participant for hours, then a comfortable and safe cycling helmet is necessary. The KINGBIKE Ultralight Bike Helmet is one that is CPSC certified and made as an 0.49 lb. in-mold construction polycarbonate outer shell with a EPS foam lining which gives the helmet the light weight, ultimate comfort to wear while riding. The head size ranges from M/L (56-60 cm) to L/XL (59-63 cm) so it covers people with larger heads or extra large heads.
Features: Detachable visor, portable helmet bag, 24 vents, rear light, knob included to adjust grip for a customized fit and rear light included with 3 modes
- Bug liner included in the foam liner to keep insects out from the inside of your helmet
- Choose from a variety of color designs, bright colored helmets are great for safety
- Multiple vents around your head make this helmet cool to wear
- Replacing the battery in the rear light may be a bit of a hassel
The Giro Register MIPS Adult Recreational Cycling Helmet is another Multi Directional Impact Protection System or MIPS helmet that is a bit less expensive but perfect size for extra large heads up to 65 cm. The universal fit sizing promises the perfect fit the first time. Its mold construction provides a polycarbonate shell and 22 vents. This is the best bicycle helmet for a light weight feel but still very safe.
Features: Integrated MIPS technology, quick-dry padding, removable visor, 22 air vents, in-mold construction polycarbonate shell, and reflective accents.
- Choose from multiple colors
- With a simple turn of the retention system dial at the back of the helmet, adjust the register for a perfect fit
- Light weight and comfortable with extra padding
- You may have to re-tighten the chin strap frequently
5. Zacro Adult Bike Helmet – The Ultimate Helmet for Safety
The Zacro Adult Bike Helmet protection system is built safe for all around your head. It is made of a high density and quality imported EPS foam liner, a PVC outer shell, and a polycarbonate shell. This is a good cycling helmet for big heads because you can adjust the head circumference at the back of the helmet between 54 and 62 cm for a snug fit. This bicycle helmet is not only comfortable but CPSC certified safe for the protection of your head.
Features: Includes a 25 x 46 cm headband for mountain bike riding and other outdoor activities, air ventilated, attached visor and adjustable straps
- Very light weight material for comfort
- Breathable, inner EPS foam liner can be removed and washed
- Chin straps square at the bottom rather than round which some say is more comfortable
- Reviews include that this helmet saved their lives during accidents
- The bicycle helmet straps may be hard to figure out
The Giro Bronte MIPS Adult Recreational Bike Helmet is built to be an inMold construction technology that complies with CPSC safety standards. This means that this road bike helmet is certified to be safe and built with high-quality materials that protect your head from impact. Another great thing about this helmet is that it is a one size fits all perfect for big heads who need an extra large helmet up to 65 cm.
Features: MIPS equipped, universal fit size, Roc Loc sports system for adjusting the head size, and removable visor
- Very light weight and comfortable like a float fit road bike helmet for larger heads
- Made with an inMold polycarbonate shell
- Perfect fit system for larger heads up to 65 cm
- Only comes in one color
The JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet is one that sits at a lower price point but still provides CPSC Certified protection if involved in a collision. The PVC & PC, EPS foam helps absorb the impact and protect the head during a crash. All of the nutcase bike helmets are specifically designed to be tough and durable and be adjustable bike helmets for large heads.
Features: Dial fit system and side chin strap adjust to head size, ventilated, lightweight, and breathable inner pad
- Reviews from another riding participant ensure that the impact resistance of helmet is built to withstand impacts due to experience
- Beneficial for people with big heads as size can be adjusted
- Comes in different colors
- Some say the chin strap adjusters do not lock so they may have to be re-adjustsed from time to time
The HADLIN Adult Bike Helmet provides a cool style with 18 vents to keep air flowing thought your helmet for temperature regulation. These helmets for large heads are accommodating because the helmet fit system can be used to easily adjust the head size. The chin strap also provides additional adjustments for big heads and other features to make your ride comfortable.
Features: Adjustable buckle and head circumference retention system, quick-release buckle, absorbant chin pad for sweat, EPS foam inner shell, PC outer shell, removable visor and inner padding for washing
- This adjustable helmet is light weight and comfortable
- Reviews say this helmet works great for their loved ones who have a large head size
- A budget friendly option that doesn’t suffer in quality
- Some reviews say that these bike helmets feel too lightweight
Another set of bike helmets for big heads is the Hiland Bike Helmet. Its size measures up to 62cm with adjustable straps included. It is considered apart of the family of mountain bike helmets because it is light weight without sacrificing the critical safety element of wearing a helmet. It is also includes a bright green colored helmet option which provides easier visibility to oncoming traffic when riding on the road.
Features: Thick EPS foam liner, quick release buckle, 25 air vents, internal sweatband, and adjustable strap
- Light weight helmet keeps from your head getting tired on long rides
- Adjustable for all head sizes and geared to fit a large head
- Air vents keep your head cool and the internal sweatband helps to control perspiration
- Some say that the helmet may not be fully put together when it arrives
The Importance of Finding the Right Helmet
When it comes to sports, whether it is football or riding a mountain bike, the helmet is the most important thing that you should be wearing. When it comes to bicycles, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), it is a fact that one-third of non-fatal injuries while riding a bike occur to the head, and 80,000 bicycle-related head injuries result in brain injuries treated in emergency rooms. NSC states that more than half of the adults in the United States don’t wear helmets, and more than half of bicycle riders killed in 2016 were not wearing one.
Wearing any bike helmet is great but finding one that is the right helmet is the better way; you should take into consideration the following:
- The material of the helmet
- The fit and comfort of the helmet
- The additional features of the helmet
The Material of the Helmet
It is necessary to keep in mind what material a helmet is made of for safety and comfort. Most helmets consist of a liner, shell, and straps.
The most critical part of the helmet is the liner. Most helmet liners are made with granules of Expanded Polystyrene (EPS), a cheaper way of making helmets. A high-end material helmet liner would be polypropylene, nylon, and metal mesh to reinforce the internal structure. Speaking of helmets see our recent guide on the best snowboard helmets with speakers.
The outside of the helmet, or shell, is most commonly made with PET plastic, a cheap material. A high-end helmet material would be a polycarbonate shell.
The helmet straps are commonly made out of polypropylene or nylon. The important part of the helmet strap is the buckle, which ensures the strap will keep the helmet on your head in case of a crash.
The Fit and Comfort of the Helmet
Having a big head may mean it is harder to find a helmet that has a snug fit and feels comfortable. If the helmet is way too small, it could be a big problem during an accident because the helmet does not adequately cover your head. If the helmet is too large, it is uncomfortable and distracting to have a helmet that moves around on your head during a ride, which is also a hazard during an accident.
Helmets that provide adjustable knobs can help you ensure a customized fit around your head. Check out our recent review on the best low profile bike helmet to buy.
The Additional Features of the Helmet
Some helmets come with aerodynamic designs to help bike riders have smoother rides. Also air vents in helmets allow airflow during hot days. Having an attached visor and goggles helps protect from wind, sand, and UV light and you won’t have to worry about something like your goggles falling or slipping off your helmets while riding. Another great feature is to have a light on your helmets to warn other riders and cars that you are there during night cycling. Some bike helmets also come in bright colors and with reflective material either on the helmet or on the helmet straps for safety. If you do a lot of mountain bike riding check out our recent guide on the best mountain bike helmet review.
What is the Best Bike Helmet for Large Heads? – Final Thoughts
Many bike helmets are built with your safety in mind and most will do well to protect you if you are to end up in a collision. But the best bike helmets for big heads is still hands down the Troy Lee Design Adult Mountain Bike A2 MIPS Mirage Helmet. It ranks high in safety with MIPS and its additional coverage in common impact zones with the head, it provides better air flow for temperature regulation and faster riding. And to top it off its multiple helmet head sizes will cover everyone from the smallest to the largest head around.
It is crucial that you protect the most vital part of your body. Don’t ride your bike around too long without the right size helmet.
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|
||Check Latest Price|